Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner


Back awhile ago I submitted some work into the Southern Breeze SCBWI yearly illustration contest. Since I hadn't heard anything, I assumed my work hadn't merited mention. Lately, I've had a love/hate relationship with my illustration work.

The more I work, the more I love creating in this manner. Yet, I find it harder to submit. Not because rejection is so crushing. I mean, rejection isn't a walk in the park. . . But after four years of grad school, nine years of creating and submitting artwork, and now 18 months of grad school, I'd like to think I can take some level of rejection with a grain of salt. It is just so taxing to actively get yourself in gear to submit! To keep it organized, to constantly update the website, to clean up the portfolio, to keep the working space clean, to remember when the submission dates/guidelines are. And, you know, those are ALL parts I'll have to deal with if I ever get an agent and have an active illustration career.

But, I'm balancing it with a full time job that I love, and grad school. I'm no fool. I know if I ever publish regularly, I'll still be balancing with teaching. And, I actually like that, because teaching is a MAJOR passion of mine. But, but, but, I have GRAD school too right now. And, that is a lot.

Whine.

So! This Sunday when I opened my mailbox I was SHOCKED to discover I'd won 2nd place in the the illustration contest!! Annnndd, it was judged by Laurent Linn, Art Direction for Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers!!!!What a huge ego boost, and how great to be recognized. I'm honestly over the moon.

Thanks Laurent Linn and SCBWI Southern Breeze; Y'all rule!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats! Great illustration! Enjoy basking in the glory a bit :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! And I still think that chubby bird on the beach could be me - suntan lotion and a good book - YEAH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowzers To You!!!!! Please continue sharing your accomplishments, keeps the rest of us inspired:)

    ReplyDelete