Monday, April 25, 2011

Hey, You've Missed a Few Posts

I really don't like missing any of my post-dates here. I LOVE posting lesson plan ideas, sharing pictures, and discussing favorites artists in this space.

I personally created this blog and made my own personal commitment to write here. I don't have any great excuses as to why I'm a wee bit behind. But, I do have a great explanation.

A little over a month ago my school, where I have taught for four years, foreclosed. The school has had some struggles in the recent past, but the foreclosure news was a huge shock to employees and parents alike. Additionally my school has been in the news and involved with legal authorities in ways that are not positive (and do not involve me). The school hopes to continue in some form at another -still undecided- location next year. Yet, the school needs a huge -over 1/2 of the current size- enrollment and financial commitment for next year ASAP.

Not a single teacher knows if s/he will have a job at the school -or any other school- next year. The school would very much like for all of us to "commit" so that they can encourage parents to re-enroll because their favorite teachers will be back next year. . .Very few people are willing to do this, because we have no commitment from administration.

You can imagine that gossip is at an all time high, and morale is at an all time low for the faculty.

Many teachers, including me, have been going on interviews in the hopes of securing employment for next school year. I spoke with my administration, and they know I am doing this, and have stated that they understand. Teaching is how we pay for our lives.

I've had three schools offer me a position, and then have to retract it because they cannot get a member of my current administration on the phone to confirm my positive employment. It is all terribly bureaucratic, and the new schools MUST speak with a member of current administration. I don't know why these calls are not answered/returned, and I have confronted my administration about it. Ultimately, I think that they are very busy trying to secure the school for next year. I get that, but I am trying to secure my future as well.

It is extremely frustrating when jobs are so few, to be offered three, and then lose them through no fault of my own.

Obviously, I have a lot of feelings, thoughts, and personal conclusions as to why my school is in this situation and what the future may/may not hold for it. But, as much as I would like to share all of that here, it doesn't seem terribly professional. Nor, is it the aim of this blog to vent/complain/manifest my feelings.

But, I am very stressed out, and just don't have it left in me to stay up-to-date all the time. Sometimes, something has to give, and it is this.

I apologize.

Also, I need a job for next year. I'm willing to relocate to anywhere in the continental United States. I LOVE teaching art. I love it so much. Art teaching jobs in Georgia are few right now. I have a master's degree in Art Education and I want to put that baby to good use! So, if you have/know of a vacancy, please let me know. I'd love to be a member of your teaching team!

You can contact me at artful.artsy.amy@gmail.com






11 comments:

  1. Awww gee Amy, I really feel for your awkward situation. How cruel of your administration to not respond, no matter what they have going on. It's irresponsible and meanspirited.

    Jobs in NY are getting cut all over the place, so I sure don't know of any openings. As you may remember we hired a new high school art teacher last year and I'm happy to say she is doing fabulously. A year from now, when I retire, the district be looking to replace me...

    But what I really wanted to write is this - DON'T APOLOGIZE. We blog because we WANT to; it is not a responsibility, and your loyal readers (such as me) will still be around to find you popping up on our dashboards when you have it together to post for us. In the meantime, good luck on your job search and keep us posted. We're rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Phyl! Just knowing folks get it is a huge boost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very sorry you are going through this. As a teacher in Wisconsin, I share your stress. Keep your chin up and make each other smile within your staff. I just had four friends last week receive layoff notices and I have not received my contract yet. This is because of corruption with my Governor! How ever these stressful situations happen, I know what a negative feeling your workplace must have right now. The kids must be feeling it as well. Everything happens for a reason if only to make us strong people and strong teachers. You'll be in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you- very well written posts that communicates your sitiuation and remains professional! I hope you are able to get something figured out, I can imagine that it would be very stressful. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How frustrating! We're having a terrible time here with budgets as well. And, I'll echo Phyl here, don't apologize for not blogging! I started my blog in the fall, thinking I would update every week, then our home computer stopped working. It just wasn't possible.

    I don't know how you would feel about the move, but I know of at least one elementary art job in Springdale, Arkansas. They are opening a new elementary school. Arkansas pays fairly well for their cost of living. Also, certified elementary art teachers are state mandated, so they can't decide to cut art jobs completely during budget problems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear that! It seems like schools all over are having problems. :( I'm in WI too and budgets are all a mess! I hope things work out for you and your school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in Wisconsin as well and know of two openings. One middle school position in Kettle Moraine and one high school position in Mukwonago. With our tense political climate, it would be a risky move but thought I'd pass on the possibilities to you. Keep your chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys are all so amazing! WI teachers. Man. I feel for y'all so much. I can't imagine how hard it must be. Does anyone in WI need an art job right now that those two openings could be directed to? I really am happy to move anywhere, but I'm super reluctant to jump from the pan to the fryer. . .

    Thank you guys for the support and back at each and every one of you.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoy your blog so I've given you the Versatile Blogger award! Check out http://artteacheradventures.blogspot.com/2011/04/versatile-bloggerannouncement.html for details!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sent you an e-mail with websites on how to apply to teaching jobs in Wisconsin. Let me know if you have any questions about them or if I can help in any way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy

    DeKalb (I know insert collective groan in here right now) is actually hiring art teachers for next year.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete