Wednesday, November 2, 2011

FYI: How to Make Slime

We have been using a liquid starch mix as a papier-mache vehicle. Today, I ran out of liquid starch about halfway through a class and began pouring some watered down glue (I had already prepared for such a moment).

After about 10 minutes the noise level got very loud. . . Lots of exclamations. Screaming with delight. Discovery.

Here's the deal. If you so happen to mix school glue with liquid starch you make a cohesive, sticky slime that will mold into stuff.

And, you know, just for your information the slime makes a great projectile. It will totally stick in some weave. And hair. And on clothing. Yeah.

Just Sayin' ;)

P.S. My boyfriend asked me to read this post to him. . .So, I innocently did. THEN, he took my words and made this song with it. Hilarious! You have to click on the link to hear it. http://khu.sh/usersong_4eb1fc7b97799

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like maybe not your best day?!! :-)

    I use Art Paste for papier-mache. One (very inexpensive) box makes 4 quarts, and can be stored indefinitely without going bad. It sticks better than starch, and doesn't dry nasty on your arms like the glue mix or wheat paste. And ***BONUS*** the kids think it looks like dog drool (actually that's what we call it) - or, as another art teacher said, pig snot. Who wouldn't love this stuff?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA I love the comment about getting in someones weave. A student in my class got paint in her weave and you would have thought she was dying. Sometimes I can't help but laugh a little bit. (I'm not cruel I swear she was fine paint came out no big deal)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, there was just one wee toss. . .That could almost be "accidental" because the flinger was shaking to get the slime OFF his hands.

    Overall, I think it was pretty funny and I love that the kids got to discover. . .And it was honestly only about five minutes of crazy. Actually, it was hilarious.

    Good thought about the Paste, Phyl! I'm mostly just using what I have access to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FYI My boyfriend made this song about papier mache today:
    http://khu.sh/usersong_4eb1fc7b97799

    ReplyDelete