Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Lesson Plan: Thiebaud Pop Art Cakes and Teaching for Artistic Behavior

My Thiebaud Cake exemplar


This is the Part II aspect to my utilizing the Teaching for Artistic Behavior (TAB) philosophy to teach a Pop Art unit.

In case you missed the first post, here's a quick review: TAB recognizes all students are creative and artistic to some degree, and that all engage in creative activities in different manners. Ultimately, the point of TAB is to authentically engage students is to engage in such a manner that they are expressing ideas and concepts of their own choosing that still meet the required expectations of an assignment.

printed TAB packets, ready-to-go

My students are learning about Pop Art. I expect them to be able to express the foundational idea that Pop Art celebrates everyday, commercial, imagery. They have a choice of two projects: a Lichtenstein portrait or a Thiebaud cake. Students will have two packets about each project with step by step written and visual directions, examples, and special references.

blending reference page for students

What I'm not telling my students is that I want them to deviate even further away from the two projects I've assigned them; to get super creative. But, I know if I simply tell them that. . .Many will hear "do whatever you want" instead of "you can meet the expectations of this project utilizing whichever creative means and mediums you choose." I know some will deviate anyway, because that is who they are. And, as students deviate, I'll celebrate that with the class and discuss how these deviations are positive and encouraged.

Baby steps y'all.

Okay, back to this specific project. I love Thiebaud, and you know, in my experience students really get him too. Students will learn about Thiebaud during our Pop Art intro and will use an in-class packet to help them follow the directions to create their own Thiebaud-inspired project.

Here is the packet my students will be using:

2 comments:

  1. love this. I am an art teacher that is considering tab methods next school year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How DO You Grade When Using Tab? DoYouStillNeedToGiveQuarterly Grades?

    ReplyDelete