Sunday, September 23, 2012

Defining Graphic Design

My yearly budget for Art supplies is very small.  On average, I have approximately $0.25 to spend per student.  I teach 921 students. . . I long ago learned one of the easiest manners in which to enrich a budget-thin Art curriculum is to introduce and teach Digital Art.

Defining Graphic Design for my 8th graders is easy; by this point in their lives they recognize their consumption and may even earn their own money to support it. They understand their purchasing is often driven by design.  Getting my 6th graders to understand Graphic Design can be more of a challenge. This year, my 6th graders have had very little Art experience (the reason is actually rather complicated), and many of them are still struggling to participate in elementary activities such as guided drawing.

Last week, we (6th graders and me) worked on a wonderful Typography project (I can't wait to share it with you). I'm so proud they truly understand the concept of Typography and can articulate a definition in their own words. This week, we're moving on to Graphic Design. I came across the fantastic video below.  What a wonderful, and succinct, introduction to Graphic Design!

Enjoy!

what is graphic design from Steve Quinn on Vimeo.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I just want to say that I am so impressed with your dedication to your students and to the world of art education. I just began teaching a beginning drawing class and ran across your site when I was researching to create my lesson plans (I understand you having to create 36 pages of lesson plans per week...just my little class has taken quite a few!). I am enjoying seeing what your students accomplish and hearing about life as an art teacher.

    Keep up the good work!

    xoxo Elizabeth Toel

    Sorry spelling error in the first comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are enjoying your study about graphic design .I watched video also. You are really fantastically discuss what is graphic designing. I think Graphic designing is a creative art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great write up and wonderful post.Thanks a lot for sharing with us. I'll visit your blog again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think that its a wonderful and interesting blog love to read this graphic designing this is also a good one.. thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only teaching them about graphic design, but i would suggest to get them some trail projects from any graphic design company for their practical experience. I work at Graphic Design Brisbane as a graphic designer.

    ReplyDelete