Friday, December 28, 2012

Are We Pragmatists or Dreamers? Can We Be Both?

image from here

Honestly? I'm a bit of both. I've never stopped dreaming and/or fantasizing about what I hope to achieve. My favorite time to do a bit of dreaming is when I am commuting.  I'm also rather known for being a bit of an analytical pragmatist.  Standardized tests -in my home state- used to include a short analytical essay portion. I always earned a perfect score on that portion (and then scored rather marginally on the Math portion). My students know all about my pragmatism; I use it to help them make their art plans come to fruition. Sometimes, while day-dreaming in the car, I'll even talk out loud. . .It sounds bizarre (yeah, I know it is bizarre), but it helps me hone in on what I want, and how to get it.  So, there ya go. . .My dreaming and pragmatism working in tandem.

There is a wonderful opinion piece over on my hometown newspaper, The Atlanta Journal Constitution, wherein a local educator (Janusz Maciuba) discusses the three most dangerous slogans teachers instill in students:

1. You can be anything you want to be
2. Never back down
3. Be a leader not a follower

I really encourage you to link over and read the whole article.  What do you think? Do you believe we need to help students look inward to develop their potential (be all they can be), or do you think the slogans are helpful? I'd love to know!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for promoting my article.

    What do you get when you cross a man-in-black with a short-legged French poodle?

    Roy Orbichon

    A joke I wrote for PHomeComp.

    Janusz Maciuba

    ReplyDelete